Recently, I had the pleasure of doing some freelance for my pal Daniel Levitch's film company, Well-Oiled Machine and their property: the Swine trilogy.
Daniel thought I'd be a good fit for creating the illustrations for the DVD covers to each trilogy installment, I think he was right!
Daniel & I both love the B/W work of Tim Bradstreet, and used his style as an inspirational springboard for the design sensibility of the cover illos.
My process was easily complicated.
- Daniel gave me a few pics to use of his actors.
- Once I found my choices, I brought the pics into photoshop and manipulated them into something that sort of resembled a B/W photocopy machine look.
- I toyed around w/ laying out and arranging the pics and shared the mockups w/ Daniel.
- Once Daniel okayed the mockups, I printed out the B/W characters on separate pages and prepared them for the hand drawn inking process.
- I taped the images to my lightbox and went to work w/ my sharpies and ink pens.
- I rescanned the inked characters and brought them back into photoshop and placed them in their proper areas, the same areas as when I layed them out for mockups.
- I sent Daniel & his friend Koren the PSD files and they created the final DVD covers.
Kellsy MacKilligan as Mercedes
Thanks for letting me be a part of Swine, Daniel! I'm sure it'll kick loads of ass, bud.
To check out Swine, head over to the film's site: swinefilm.com, watch the trailer, here, friend & like 'em over at the official Swine Facebook page!
Labels: Ancient Squid Media, comic con, covers, Daniel Levitch, dvd, film, freelance, future, Illustration, inking, jeaux janovsky, photoshop, post apocalyptic, sci-fi, Swine, trilogy, war, well-oiled machine